Head of Degree Programme
Principal Lecturer in Charge
Tutkintonimike ja tutkinnon taso
The qualification awarded is Master of Business Administration. The programme corresponds to the competence framework described in European Qualification Framework (EQF) and the National Quality Framework (NQF). The master’s degree corresponds to the competence level 7.
Hakukelpoisuus ja hakeminen
Master's degree is designed for people who have the minimum of a Bachelor’s degree at and at least three years of work experience in a relevant field after graduation. General admission criteria see TAMK’s websites.
Aiemmin hankitun osaamisen tunnustaminen
Credit transfer allows the student to apply for recognition of previous higher education to the studied degree, if they meet the competence objectives of the degree programme.
Credit transfer follows the specific policies and procedures of TAMK.
Tutkintovaatimukset ja niitä koskevat säännöt
The Master's Degree in Educational Leadership is a professional higher education degree that will facilitate the participants’ growth as a 21st century leader in education. The programme focuses on the state-of-the-art skills and concepts of international educational leadership. It is designed to enable graduates to impact educational policy and practices in their own institutional and international setting. The degree is focused on leadership and management with a specialisation of applying contemporary leadership skills in the context of education.
The degree is 90 cr and it is designed to be studied alongside work. The studies are arranged over 1,5 year duration with an option to graduate after 2 and 2,5 years if required. The studies consist of common advanced professional studies 55 cr, optional studies 5 cr and Master’s Thesis 30 cr.
Tutkinnon keskeiset osaamistavoitteet ja vuositeemat
This Master’s programme will enable the participants to:
• Develop the necessary competencies for leading the human and technological changes faced by educational institutions
• Establish direct personal contacts and a deeper insight into the successful Finnish education system so as to transfer best practices to their own environment
• Learn practical tools and theories about motivating and leading oneself and other educators effectively and ethically
• Apply an authentic learning approach, where all courses are designed to help the participants with their own development task
• Participate in a networked, collaborative learning environment as an active member of a community of practice
• Demonstrate the skills and knowledge to be an internationally networked change agent that will make a difference in their own working environment
By the end of this program, participants will have:
• developed their skills in leading people
• a better understanding of self and values
• developed their communications skills
• developed trust building skills
• learned how to manage different stakeholders
• the ability to use new technologies when needed
• the ability to support diverse people
• considered when it is appropriate to use to use a business mindset in their educational context
• developed their own practical theories of learning and assessment
• understood the importance of evaluation and feedback in learning and leading
• evaluated technology from the standpoint of its ability to enhance learning
• understood the pedagogical foundations of successful and efficient learning technologies
• know-how to operate in a learning community interdependently
• an understanding of how educational policies can impact at the institutional level
• considered the formulation of education policy and its relationship with practice
• reflected upon the impact of politics and economics on educational policy
Graduates qualify for leadership positions in the field of education in multicultural environments. It is envisioned that graduates will gain leadership positions in educational institutions in both the public and private sector. The degree provides graduates with the abilities and skills to work in governmental organisations, Ministries of Education and global NGO's.
The degree is Master of Business Administration. It produces the same eligibility for public offices as a Master’s degree from a university. The student may also apply for doctoral studies at a university.
Opintosuoritukset ja niiden arviointi
Assessment of completed courses is based on TAMK’s assessment criteria. The teaching and assessment methods are agreed on with the students at the beginning of each course. The detailed information and criteria can be found in the course implementation plan. TAMK’s degree regulations are followed in implementation and assessment.
In order to graduate the student needs to complete the studies in accordance to the curriculum.
The programme consists of three mandatory intensive weeks in Finland in the beginning of period 1 in September, in the beginning of period 3 in January and again in the beginning of the second study year in September. A fourth face-to-face meeting in Finland is optional during the last part of the studies. The majority of the learning takes place in collaboration with other students using online and distance learning methods and tool. Participants will learn from analyzing and discussing real cases and real life authentic problems. The programme has been designed using contemporary learning theories, allowing participants to apply knowledge to their particular context. Collaborative knowledge construction and sharing are an essential part of learning and the students are expected to participate in weekly collaborative online classroom activities.
The curriculum is developed in cooperation with TAMK’s other Master’s degree Programmes. Working life cooperation is implemented e.g. through students' Master thesises and an international advisory board. Student feedback is collected regularly and applied constantly. Alumni feedback is collected regularly through online surveys.