Gerontology: The book will be announced later
In addition, the exam includes other material assigned to the course and all the materials and outputs of the online study.
Dementia Care Workbook by Gary Morris and Jack Morris
Other material addressed in lectures
The implementation plan will be completed before the beginning of the course.
Lectures, guided online work independently and in groups, learning by experience.
Familiarization with course literature, passing exams in the exam terrier.
05.08.2019 - 22.09.2019
10.06.2019 - 01.09.2019
Hoitotyö Luennoitsija, Sirpa Salin
Participation in the course requires commitment and teamwork skills. The tasks and other parts of the course unit must be completed during the course within a pre-determined schedule. If the student is unable to perform the given assignments and other tasks according to the schedule, it is not possible to complete the course. In this case, the student must register for a new course in Gerontological Nursing.
Students who do not attend the orientation will not be allowed on the course. Presence at the lectures is highly recommended.
Bachelor's Degree Programme in Nursing
TAMK Main Campus
Development and Research in the project.
Part I.Caring people with dementia. The exam is conducted in the exam terrier together with the part of geriatrics (Part IV), week 35; 90 min exam.
Part II. Gerontological Nursing. The exam is conducted in the exam terrier and includes a question about calculating dosage (Part V). week 38; 90 min exam.
Total student hours 108 h.
Lectures 22 h and Nutrition lecture 2 h
Independent study throughout the course 88 h (includes, for example, e-learning, D&R-project work, course literature studying, passing exams)
Part I. Gerontological Nursing
Part II. Caring people with dementia
Part III. D&R - project
Part IV. Geriatrics
Part V. Peculiarities of drug treatment for the older people
- knows the most common diseases and aging changes of elderly people
- is able to list ethical principles in nursing care for elderly persons
- understands the basic principles of an elderly person's housing and care environment
- is able to list the basic elements of interaction with a person having a memory disorder.
- knows the evidence-based nursing methods for the care of the most common elderly people’s diseases and knows the specifics of the aging process in the nursing of elderly people
- understands the ethical principles in nursing care for elderly people
- is able to take into account the factors related to the housing and care environment of the elderly person and his family, and is able to justify the appropriate support methods
- is able to describe and justify the elements of a good interface with people having memory disorders.
- is able to apply evidence-based knowledge in nursing methods for the treatment of the most common diseases of elderly people and is able to understand the specifics of the aging process in the nursing of elderly people
- is able to carry out ethically the care of elderly people
- is able to apply methods that support the housing and care environment of the elderly person and his family in a purposeful and multidisciplinary way
- is able to work in his/her team as an expert in gerontological nursing
- is able to implement and develop the interface with a person with a memory disorder, holistically in his/her environment.