Finnish as Foreign Language 1 3B00DW21-3001 01.01.2020-31.07.2020 5 cr(19IB1, ...)+-
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course provides the basics of the Finnish language and culture (estimated level A1.2)
After completing the course, the students will be able to:
• Use the basic structure of Finnish.
• Manage in Finnish in basic situations like simple shopping and travelling.
• Learn to build up their vocabulary.
• Know forms of politeness in Finnish.
• Know how to write brief messages connected to everyday life.
• How is Finnish pronounced?
• Why do I need to pay attention to how words are written?
• How to make simple statements, ask questions and answer them?
• How to write short messages in Finnish?
• What to say in situations like shopping, travelling in Finland?
• How to be polite, and build up small talk in Finnish?
The student has completed all the assignments acceptably and attended contact lessons at least 80 %. The student is able to tell a few things about oneself in Finnish comprehensively. The student recognises typical grammatic structures like possessive structure, verb types and partitive.
The student has an active attitude towards studying Finnish language and culture showing that by completing written tasks according to the schedule. The student is able to use the typical grammatic structures like possessive structure, verb types and partitive in simple sentences. He/she is able to cope in most common everyday situations like introducing and shopping and tell simple things about his/her day, family, spare time etc. The student is able to write brief messages (e.g. e-mail, text message, and post card) in Finnish and is able to pronounce Finnish clearly enough.
The student has a positive and active attitude towards learning Finnish and is genuinely interested in Finnish culture, and brings it up by comparing Finnish culture to his/her own. He/she can pronounce Finnish distinctively and is able to use suitable and varied expressions in everyday situations using grammar almost correctly. The student is able to write brief texts in Finnish, which are mostly correct.
Language of instruction
01.01.2020 - 31.07.2020
25.11.2019 - 12.01.2020
Unit, in charge
Bachelor's Degree Programme in International Business