Languages and Communication
|Finnish Language and Communication - Spoken and Written Communication Skills||2|
|Finnish Language and Communication - Informing and Influencing Skills||2|
|Finnish Language and Communication - Group Communication and Reporting Skills||2|
|Technical Swedish for Engineers, Oral Skills||2|
|Technical Swedish for Engineers, Written Skills||3|
|English for Engineers||3|
|Technical English for Engineers in Business||3|
|Technical English for Professionals||3|
|Introduction to Engineering Mathematics||5|
|Mechanics 2 and Thermophysics||3|
|Electricity and Magnetism||3|
|Physics Lab. 1||2|
|Waves, Atoms and Nanotechnology||3|
|Physics Lab. 2||2|
|Inorganic Chemistry and Laboratory Work||5|
|Organic Chemistry and Laboratory Work||5|
|Computer Aided Design||2|
Supporting Studies in Business Administration and Production
|Business Skills and Technology Entrepreneurship||5|
|Industrial Management Skills and Occupational Safety||5|
|Industrial Unit Operations||5|
Basics in Professional Studies
|Basics of Paper Technology||5|
|Basics of Textile Technology||5|
|Basics of Chemical Technology||5|
|Basics in Quality and Environmental Management||5|
|Coaching for Practical Training||0|
|Practical Training 1||5|
|Practical Training 2||10|
|Practical Training 3||15|
|60 / 62||60 / 64||60 / 34||60 / 15||60 / 31||60 / 31||60 / 32||60 / 32||60 / 17||60 / 17||60 / 7.5||60 / 7.5||60 / 15.6||60 / 15.6||60 / 15.6||60 / 15.6||60 / 16||60 / 16||60 / 16||60 / 16||60 / 8.6||60 / 8.6||60 / 8.6||60 / 8.6||60 / 3.75||60 / 3.75||60 / 3.75||60 / 3.75|
Studies of syllabus is planned so 60 credits are studied in academic year and length of studies is 3,5/4/4,5 years. Planned syllabus may change during studies.
Degree Programme in Paper., Textile and Chemical Engineering
Qualification Bachelor of Engineering?
Extent and duration:
The extent of the education is 240 credits (cr) and it lasts for 4 years
Implementation method: full-time study / multi-modal
Unit : School of Industrial production
Campus: Teiskontie 3, 33230 Tampere
Director of education: Ulla Häggblom-Ahnger
Education coordinator: Merja Hanhimäki
Eligibility: see TAMK’s websites on application and eligibility for bachelor’s / master’s degrees at www.tamk.fi/en
After the first year of studies, the students select their specialisation options, which are: 1) Paper technology, 2) International Pulp and Paper Technology (IPPT), 3) Textile engineering, 4) Chemical engineering.
In addition to mathematics and technical subjects, the basic studies contain people, production and project management, financial and entrepreneurial subjects as well as communication and languages.
Specialisation options include:
- Paper technology and IPPT: raw materials for paper and paperboard, production processes, packaging and processing, printing and marketing.
- Textile engineering: fibres, technical textiles, manufacturing textiles, structure and testing, product and production planning
- Chemical engineering: applied chemistry, process technology, chemical products and production processes and product development
The multidisciplinary degree programme offers a comprehensive education for diverse tasks in production, design and development. Paper, textile and chemical industries, as well as the equipment producers of the field offer international job opportunities in production, management, design and development tasks. The graduates may also work in customer services, marketing, teaching and consulting tasks as well as private entrepreneurs.
Basic values of education
The aim of the education is to offer internationally esteemed education which meets the needs of the working life. The degree programme offers the students opportunities for internationalisation through courses taught in English, international student exchange and practical training abroad. The degree programme offers learning environments, which support practical skills, such as modern laboratories. The extensive scope of courses offered along with guidance for planning the studies meet the needs of both individual learning needs as well as diverse expertise.
An extensive working life network enables research and development projects, as well as Bachelor’s theses, which develop the students’ skills to work as entrepreneurs.
Full-time study in large and small groups.
Classroom education, discussions, seminars, group work, company visitations, exams, report, laboratory work, assignments, demonstrations, independent e-learning.
Learning outcomes of programme / academic year
After the first year, the students know the basic processes and products of paper, textile and chemical industries. The students know how to work and behave in a laboratory, and know the basics of e.g. data processing.
During the second year, the basic studies include the basics of business, and e.g. statistical data processing and industrial unit processes. The students develop their skills in laboratory work and reporting results.
• The students of paper technology know the paper production raw materials, products and their properties, pulp production methods, subprocesses of paper manufacturing as well as the basic principles of product refinement and printing.
• The students of textile engineering know the processes of textile manufacturing and textile structures. The students know the textile fibres, chemical textile processes and fitting textiles.
• The students of chemical engineering focus on organic and analytic chemistry, chemical processes and energy technology.
During the third year of studies, the students learn e.g. about managerial duties of industry, occupational safety and computer assisted design. The students know how to manage a working group. After the third year of studies, the students have the necessary skills to find a topic for a Bachelor’s thesis, as well as to plan and implement it.
• The students of paper technology may also choose the English specialisation option (IPPT). The subprocesses of paper manufacturing, and e.g. finishing, using recycled fibres and its production, basics of automation, logistics and procurement.
• The students of textile engineering know how to produce flat structures and products in machine exercises. The students know how to apply quality assurance in material testing through company collaboration.
• The students of chemical engineering focus on process technology and chemical processes, as well as energy technology as well organic and analytical chemistry. Physical chemistry, polymer and ecological chemistry.
During the fourth year of studies, the students will deepen to the professional studies in their spezialisation option and will make a thesis work.
Structure of degree programme
Core studies 110 cr
• (Professional studies of the option ) 65 cr
• (Optional professional studies ) 5 cr
Practical training (terveysalalla: Clinical training) 30 cr
Elective studies 15 cr
Bachelor’s thesis 15 cr
In total 240 cr