We recommend that you read Snyder (the first STC at least) and Truby as early as possible, ideally before the course starts:
Save the Cat (I-III), Blake Snyder, Michael Wiese Productions, 2010
Anatomy of Story, John Truby, Faber & Faber, 2011
The Writer’s Journey, Christopher Vogler, Michael Wiese Productions, 2007
The Soul Of Screenwriting, Keith Cunningham, Continuum, 2008
Screenwriting Updated, Linda Aronson, Silman-James, 2010
Aristotle's Poetics for Screenwriters, Michael Tierno, Hyperion 2002
On Filmmaking, Alexander Mackendrick [ed Paul Cronin], Faber & Faber, 2004
Three Uses of the Knife, David Mamet, Vintage, 2000
Story, Robert McKee, Methuen, 1998
The module gives a hands-on introduction to storytelling tradition. It covers ideating, conceptualizing, pitching, outlining and step-outlining story as well as developing character arch and making use of turning points, understanding screenplay structure composed of acts, sequences and scenes and using film and screenplay analysis as screenwriter’s tool. Students will also start to write a self-analytical document of their writing process. One of the world's foremost script consultants Linda Seger visits 11-12.10.2019, https://www.tuni.fi/en/news/screenwriting-workshop-linda-seger
02.09.2019 - 31.10.2019
03.08.2019 - 09.09.2019
Anne Nissinen, Jukka Vieno, Ari Koivumäki
Taide, musiikki ja media
Master's Degree Programme in Screenwriting
2. – 5. 9. 2019 Orientation day and 3 contact days. Ari, Jukka, Anne General introduction. Developing ideas, concepts and outlines for screenplays.
Week starting 9.9 Independent work Developing story, concept and outline for the screenplay (Note for the students: Create a tough daily writing routine for yourself, if you don’t already have one.)
17. - 19.9. 3 contact days Anne Analysis of film/screenplay practice
Week starting 23.9 Independent work Developing sequence- and step-outline for the screenplay
1. – 3.10 3 contact days Colin Writing television series in the age of Netflix, HBO etc. 1 What it takes and how it is done. The role of writer, showrunner, scripteditor. Developing ideas, concepts and (short) season and episode outlines in class and in group.
OBS ! 11-12.10 Linda Seger workshop: Making a good script great
Week starting 14.10. Independent work Rewriting and preparing the concept and outline
22-24.10 3 contact days Jukka Checking and developing story, concept and outlines done
Week starting 28.10. Independent work Structured approach to story and outlines of the screenplays
5. - 7.11. and 12.- 14.11. 6 contact days Colin Writing television series in the age of Netflix, HBO etc. 2 Workshopping students' individual ideas, concepts and outlines
Week starting 18.11 Independent work: Writing the actual first screenplay version
THE DEFINITE DEADLINE FOR CONCEPT AND OUTLINE VERSIONS IS NOV 22nd. ‘Outline versions’ = outline + sequence outline + step-outline version.
26. - 28.11. 3 contact days Jukka, Anne: Checking the screenplays (stories, concepts and outlines) done during the autumn season and preparing the independent writing of the first screenplay versions).